U.S. Secretary of Education Betsy DeVos announced that The Expanding Opportunity through Quality Charter Schools Program (Charter Schools Program or CSP) has awarded new grants this week to fund the creation and expansion of public charter schools across the nation, totaling approximately $253 million.
“These grants will help supplement state-based efforts to give students access to more options for their education,” said Secretary DeVos. “What started as a handful of schools in Minnesota has blossomed into nearly 7,000 charter schools across the country. Charter schools are now part of the fabric of American education, and I look forward to seeing how we can continue to work with states to help ensure more students can learn in an environment that works for them.”
The following grants slates were awarded:
The State Entities program awarded approximately $144.7 million in new grants to nine states.
The Replication and Expansion of High-Quality Charter Schools program awarded approximately $52.4 million in new grants to 17 non-profit charter management organizations.
The Credit Enhancement for Charter School Facilities program awarded approximately $56.25 million in new grants to six non-profit organizations and two state agencies.
These grants are awarded to state educational agencies and other state entities, charter management organizations (CMOs) and other non-profit organizations and represent the first cohort of new awards under the program’s new authorizing statute, the Every Student Succeeds Act (ESSA).
Please see below for the list of grantees, FY 2017 funding and total recommended funding (contingent on future Congressional appropriations).
State Entity Grantees
* Eligible applicants under this program are state entities. A state entity is defined under ESSA as a state educational agency; a state charter school board; a Governor of a state; or a charter school support organization.
**State reflects where the organization is based; school expansion sites funded under this grant may differ.
Credit Enhancement Grantees
Additional information regarding these grant programs and awards, including copies of grantee applications, may be found at: https://innovation.ed.gov/what-we-do/charter-schools/.
Latest from The San Bernardino American
- Witness For Justice #862 - It is up to us to stop gun violence
- “What a Tragedy It Would Be…!”
- Faith Leaders Asked to Deliver Non-Violence Messages During 5th Annual Week of Non-Violence, Justice and Opportunities, Oct. 15-23, 2017
- Grow Your Own The Importance of Urban Agriculture
- Jemele Hill Suspended after Tweets About Cowboys Owner