Redesigned Building Complies with District’s Sustainability Plan
SAN BERNARDINO – The San Bernardino Community College District (SBCCD) and San Bernardino Valley College received the Project Management Award for the renovation of the San Bernardino Valley College Business Building from the Southern California Chapter of the Construction Management Association of America (CMAA). The construction began in June 2012 and was completed in April, 2013.
The award was presented to the SBCCD Board of Trustees at the April 10 board meeting by Michael Villegas, Senior Project Manager with Kitchell/BRj, which oversaw the construction project.
Chancellor Bruce Baron noted, “The renovation of the Business Building at San Bernardino Valley College was a complex undertaking and the work of Kitchell/BRj was instrumental in the cost-effective, on time, efficient completion of the project. They successfully incorporated a substantial number of sustainable features, and the building has been submitted for LEED Silver certification. Our Board of Trustees has included sustainability as one of its priorities for all renovation and construction throughout the district, and virtually all of our new buildings reflect that commitment by the Board. This would not have been possible without the support of the community through the Measure M and P bonds, which allow us to maximize our resources as we design a sustainable learning environment for our students and employees.”
The Business Building was originally built in 1960. Renovation required taking the building down to its skeletal frame. The modernized building is now fully ADA compliant, meets California seismic and structural regulations, accommodates the district’s needs for classroom and lecture spaces, boasts the latest A/V and Internet technology, and offers a professional conference center available to the local community.
The $16 million project was funded through the Measure M Bond, which was passed by the voters in 2008. Among the projects funded by Measure M, Kitchell/BRj provided project and construction management services for the renovation and modernization of the San Bernardino Valley College Business Building.
Kitchell was originally tasked with providing Program Management services for the San Bernardino Community College District’s Measure M Bond program. The bond program was passed in 2008 and the SBCCD saw the available bond funds shrink by nearly half in the midst of the economic recession. The SBCCD and Kitchell worked together to eliminate non-essential projects from the master plan. They successfully identified opportunities for the SBCCD to save money and even offset costs so that much needed improvements to the San Bernardino Valley College campus, such as the Business Building, were not jeopardized.
- Sigma Gamma RHO Hosts Youth Symposium March 12 In Rialto
- San Bernardino Community College District Chalks up a Million for Good Behavior
- San Bernardino Community College District Honors Long-Time Employees
- San Bernardino Community College District Gets IT....
- San Bernardino Community College District Awarded $26 Million Multi-Party Workforce Contract
Latest from The San Bernardino American
- Publication of Your Privacy in 2017
- Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador
- California’s Educators Denounce U.S. House OK of Bill Threatening Vital Health Benefits for Nation’s Students and Families
- Witness For Justice #840 A Reluctant Marcher
- “Instead of Just Diving in I tell you....You Really Ought to Read the Warning Signs!”