RIVERSIDE, Calif. (www.ucr.edu) — The University of California, Riverside will host the symposium “Turbulent Futures: Water and Climate Change in Times of Crisis” on Thursday, May 11 and Friday, May 12 on the UCR campus.
The conference is organized by UCR’s IGERT Ph.D. training program, WaterSENSE: Social, Engineering and Natural Science Engagement, which is funded by the National Science Foundation (NSF). The symposium will offer an interdisciplinary look at the past, present and future of water in changing times, and will bring together researchers and policymakers from academia, industry, non-profits, and government to address modern environmental, social, and political water crises.
The keynote speaker will be Newsha Ajami, Director of Urban Water Policy at Stanford University’s Water in the West program, and Senior Research Associate at the Stanford Woods Institute for the Environment. Panel discussion topics will include water management, response to climate change, and water in an international context.
UCR’s NSF-IGERT (Integrative Graduate Education and Research Traineeship) is an interdisciplinary Ph.D. training program that focuses on preparing the next generation of water researchers and leaders in the social and natural sciences and engineering. The principal investigators on this grant are professors Mary Gauvain, Department of Psychology; Peter Atkinson, Department of Genetics; Anil Deolalikar, School of Public Policy; Sharon Walker, Department of Chemical and Environmental Engineering; and Marylynn Yates, Environmental Microbiology.
For more information about the speakers and agenda, visit www.turbulentfutures.org
Read the release here: https://ucrtoday.ucr.edu/46832
- “Daughters of the Dust” Kicks Off Free Film Series
- The 10th Annual “Keeping It Real” Young Men’s Conference To Be Held At The Riverside Convention Center
- Three UC Riverside Scholars Win Fulbright Grants
- Harvard scholar of American religions to present lecture March 7
- Inland Empire Adds 9,900 Jobs in November
Latest from The San Bernardino American
- Trump revealed highly classified information to Russian foreign minister and ambassador
- California’s Educators Denounce U.S. House OK of Bill Threatening Vital Health Benefits for Nation’s Students and Families
- Witness For Justice #840 A Reluctant Marcher
- “Instead of Just Diving in I tell you....You Really Ought to Read the Warning Signs!”
- Wine and Food Tasting Event Returns to Botanic Gardens